Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Big Little Felt Universe craft book

This arrived the other day from Book Depository:


I ordered this after looking around on the net for some felt play food patterns and not being able to find exactly what I wanted online. Then I remembered this book - which I had borrowed and read about twelve months ago- and how totally amazing some of the projects in it were.

 Jeanette Lim's creations took me from barely registering felt items as a craft to now seeing it almost as an artform. In fact a lot of the items are almost too beautiful to be seen as playthings, they are more like soft sculptures.
That said there are a few items I will be making up for the kidlets, in particular this cute little handbag set:

Included is patterns for the bag, compact, mobile phone, lipstick and purse. The lipstick lid even comes off to show a red lipstick inside- how cool is that? I know one little girl who would like this very much...

And just in case I haven't made enough things for Christmas I think these little Christmas cookie decorations are totally adorable and could easily be converted into pins/earring/necklace charms etc for the holiday season:

Sweet huh?

I *think* that the author for this book is also the same person as "Jeanette LIN" whose blog Lit'l Brown Bird's Passion I found the template for my felt strawberries on. Not sure why the different surname but the author in the book (Jeanette Lim) is described as owning the Umecrafts shop on Esty (umecrafts.etsy.com)- Etsy lists Jeanette LIN as the owner.

Name issues aside this is a wonderful book to have if you are looking to make some realistic looking  felt items (either for yourself or the kids). The Umecrafts shop on Etsy is also worth a look as it lists many more  more patterns and PDF Ebooks by the author if you decide that felt crafts is the thing for you.

More images of projects from the book "Big Little Felt Universe" can be found here on Amazon.

My very basic review on SewingPatternReview.com and other sewing/craft book reviews by other members can be found here.

Happy Crafting!


No comments: