Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

May 2013 Sewing Weekend Away

I had a great time at the May 2013 Burdastyle Sewing Club Perth weekend away. It was nice to get away from everyday life for a few days and recharge the creative batteries, all without worrying about being on "mum" duty (that's 24/7 right?) for a while. In fact I think one of the most exciting things about going away was the fact that I got a WHOLE bed to myself, an uninterrupted nights sleep AND got to sleep in past the usual wake up time of 6.30 am (on a good day). Believe me once you have kids that's a trifecta rarely experienced, at least not in the few years I've been parenting so far.
(I must admit I did feel a bit teary waking up and not seeing them each morning though).
So enough gloating about my childfree 48 hours and glorious bed space, let me inundate you with some pics from the weekend ;)

(BTW I have written two post about the weekend on BSCP's blog here and here, so if it seems like I'm being a bit "light on" I'm just trying not to repeat myself...)

First up - a big mob of 'roos in the entrance of Moondyne's property. The centre is tucked away on a large rural property surrounded by National park so these guys would be locals here. Still I think I was lucky to be the first car through and see this many:
Kangaroo mob grazing at Moondyne Convention Centre



















 The drive to get out to the centre (from the main road) was long, gravelly and hilly. As I had hubby's ute - way more powerful than the "mummobile- I really headed the speed limit along the track. The scenery, while beautiful, was also very steep and I admit thinking to myself "geez I wouldn't like to drive this late at night".

Still when I got there it was gorgeous, well worth the drive. Very rural and quiet - except for birds and insects (oh and the occasional moth as big as your hand, no joke!). Lots of gumtrees, hills and pasture to distract us from sewing - if we needed it ;)

This is what the weather was like the first morning after I arrived, lots of sunshine:

Out front of the convention centre



And the second morning? Not so much...

Mist and lots of it!

 
Fellow sewist/blogger Fleur taking some pics of the mist.


But then again we were there to sew, so sunshine was an added bonus if we got it. Plus the mist burnt off pretty quick once it warmed up.

 Accommodation was lovely and in keeping with the country feel everything had a veranda, even the sewing (well technically "meeting") room:
 
Sewing / meeting room veranda.



A few shots of the veranda's off the main building, where we had all our meals (cooked by the lovely Elle):


Views like this must be hard to live with yeah?
 


 And just to show you that sewing did in fact take place here's a pic of some of the BSCP group hard at work (look at all those sewing machines!):



Quite a few people finished garments over the weekend, some smarty-pant's even went on to a second item (or two!). 
Myself I got 95% through to completion of my first 'Staple" dress (April Rhode's patterns)- I just have the hem to go hence the 5% not done. While not as industrious or technically challenging as some of the other's projects I was still happy to have got something nearly done over the weekend- and better yet something for me! The fact that it remained unfinished for at least two weeks after is another matter...

Extra added bonus to the weekend- I made a new friend (of the furry kind). Meet Gypsy, lovely friendly dog who was rescued by the couple who run Moondyne:
Gypsy - resident dog at Moondyne Convention Centre.
 Of course no sewing weekend would be complete without checking out all the sewing equipment that everyone else has and finding new, exciting things ;)
Currently these are my two newest sewing "lust-haves" after the weekend:

1.  Susan Khalje wrist pin-cushion, as modelled by it's owner Kat. At $30 its pretty $$ but I'm hoping maybe the sewing fairy might get me one if I'm a good girl this year ;) Otherwise I guess I might end up buying one for myself if she/he doesn't....
 2. Laurastar Steam ironing station and board. I swear the pressure this thing had made me jump from across the room every time Leanne (it's owner) let loose a shot of steam - it sounds like a whip cracking! A quick look on the Laurastar website tells me that price wise this set-up is a very very veeerrry distant reality. Still a girl can dream right?


Oh and I rather liked this rusty dragonfly/frog wall sculpture...if I ever get sick of sewing maybe I'll give metal work a go....


Great time, great sewing, can't wait to do it all again!

Kate :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somehow I missed this extra SWA post! YAY! Moar photos :)) And it made me realise I never spotted Kat's wrist pin thing. CUTE!!