Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Pattern testing : The Eucalypt dress & Cascade skirt (Megan Nielsen patterns)

DD's photobomb..or why you don't use your kids wardrobe mirror for pics!

So awhile ago I signed up to be a pattern tester for Megan Nielsen's new Breakwater collection. It's just occurred to me that although the patterns have now been released for over a month I haven't written about them yet!
Megan was very lovely in letting me pick which pattern's I would test from the collection; I chose the Eucalpyt dress and Cascade skirt as these looked like the ones that would be easiest for me to sew in the time I had available.

I must say that out of the two the Eucalypt is my hands down favorite, for sheer "summer wardrobe staple"-ness.
The Eucalypt fills a serious hole that has been gaping in my wardrobe - and sewing pattern collection - for too long. Want a simple 2 piece pattern not cut on the bias with no darts or closures? Want something easy to throw on that doesn't look like it belongs only on the beach? Something you can dress up or down? Well then go the Eucalypt! I have great plans to make many many more Eucalypt dresses (it has a tank option as well), even contemplating making it up in a thicker fabric or sweater knit so I can wear it over tights and a long sleeve top in winter. Seriously comfy dress that still has the style factor. 
I must say that not being a fan of my upper thighs I did lengthen the pattern by a good 15cm, come summer though I may try making up a shorter version for around the pool (as a coverup). I also cant wait to make up the tank top version. I think this pattern could easily lend itself to a myriad of fabric and seamline (by using the optional centre front seam or adding more) variations.
 
 Don't get me wrong- I love the Cascade skirt: it drapes beautifully (as another tester said you have to trust the grainlines of the skirt, I was seriously scratching my head over one of them BUT it does all make sense in the end) and looks awesome on everyone I've seen so far. At this point in time the Cascade is probably an item that I would only need to have 1 or 2 of in my wardrobe. If I was child free and going out to nice places for dinners and lunches (um my life 5 years ago) then this skirt would be ideal, but my current slobbing-around-at-home/housewife/mother/occasional coffee with friends lifestyle?: the Eucalypt -for me- works perfectly.

So below is a few pics I did up to show my Cascade and Eucalypt. You can tell how uncomfortable I am with "posing" for shots, something to work on (I guess):

Posing...

...posing...

...posing (OK this is getting painful)...

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjrrX-kflyobUIA2DXgyB5fc0E55AaJIgdYV84wxCKAc3Wy4gcXdLIbd1jcZU3lJ5_1F2jCBZlU5hsGaWe7yF_MucO6PscfpyuYfiDzIsesLnyvpRjaEmnzjfj9n7X8xVVri1cfnr5aWeA/s1600/photo-788156.JPG
Ah natural pose! - and how I wear my Eucalypt in real life :)
And the shots that turned up on Megan Nielsen's blog are here....

Happy Sewing!!!

Kate xx

No comments: