Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Vintage Op-Shoppery

I've been thinking that its been too long long since my last (waaay back here) op-shopping "haul" post. It's not like I haven't been cruising charity stores for sewing/crafting/clothing items - god knows that is my one little regular "splurge" - rather its the time involved in taking/uploading pics of the resulting finds. 
I know I know "excuses, excuses"!
So without further ado this is the result of my most recent expedition (of the thrift stores along Scarborough Beach Road):

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh4tJbto78sKHDRHvW3c4w5qxwWeqxcbChh8oBPxAvDwz5pmC8zMYn6ndsbtRHQpMA0s1DWPnTC-ap5zpOIsDsX5mFXvZFeZcbwoibn0Zb71B4iZEO7KgIkVoj23iJr0KjMTq5wnDS-P3Q/s1600/SAM_1063-732189.JPG
Harking back to the early 1980s this dress was probably the height of fashion in its time. It now reminds me of the uniform I had to wear for my first ever job in a delicatessen (imagine it all in white with a name badge). The styling seems to be a little confused; all "Laura Ashley"/ladylike with the floppy hat and strappy heels, but the dress shape itself is very sporty/tuckshop lady/early 1980s checkout operator. 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh0xjf19OWW4tuThrDLs_z7ckyxTSG439P64eyYWPy518DWmn2uexupOCBRlC7AsZDFa0FZDkCyWC8mAsFDkUsr22cQ3k76sq47N6BIW8YrSGPK3ctXTwAunON-rzjutSnhiu41BXqO7Zk/s1600/SAM_1065-736940.JPG
Here we have a outfit I could jave imagined my mum in during the 1970's/80s and a background setting not unlike my very earliest childhood recollections. God bless carpet tiles and modular furniture ;)
Enid Gilchrist sewing books are a bit different from regular paper patterns as what you actually get is detailed instructions for drawing up your own pattern from the diagram given. I am guessing this was a more economical way of selling so many patterns (than printing out the actual pattern pieces themselves). I think this book is 1970s era (after 1966 anyway as it's price is in cents). Not sure what to make of the little girls outfit.... 

An example of one of the diagrams. This one is for changing a given shirt pattern into a blouse by altering some of the pattern pieces.

Six pale blue vintage buttons. Looking at the scrap of blue fabric on the back of one button I wonder whether they originally were much brighter in colour. Labelled as ceramic but in fact 100% plastic.
 











https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgOoCslwMmRxqDbWBupv60emeBIirVIviVVVFSAK26fHB8lxgqSZaZLybV0RcSNv__mRU6J2qgEdDZKdB9QNm7NjMouq3ThDcAV-PqLEZ8HPh6oTXME-KEq30de5lHH8hHY4QXh72skcC8/s1600/SAM_1079-755548.JPG
A roll of red bias cut stiffened fabric. Unfolded bias binding or stabilising tape? Sure it will come in handy and so cheap to boot! 

A very cute collection of smocked/pleated cushion covers, circa early 1960s. Unfortunately part of the front cover is missing but otherwise it seems complete. Happy to find this one as I haven't got anything else like it in my collection :)

So that's the beginning, I still have a huge backlog of op-shopping finds to get through!

Til next time...

Happy sewing/op-shopping ;)

Kate x


No comments: