Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Progress!

I have almost completed my black Kwik Sew 3240 skirt for the Stash 2009 contest.
I decided to make view B, which has a lace inset at the flounce seam, for something different.
For the lace inset Kwik Sew has you sew the lace on top of the seam that joins the flounce to the skirt, then cut through the fabric (but not the lace!) underneath, turn the excess fabric back and zigzag along the edges of the lace (from the front).














The end result is a quite neat looking finish (I think) and applying the lace over the seam first means that you can make sure the placement is correct before sewing.

Luckily the lace a I chose had a little flower motif that I could line up along the seamline, making it easy to see if the lace was sitting straight.
I was hoping to get a thicker lace to use for the inset, however Spotlight seems to have a shortage in non-stretch black lace at the moment and this was the best/ most sturdiest feeling I could get.
Unfortunately after trying on the skirt I realised that the lace is a bit too "peek-a-boo" for my liking, with my white legs contrasting rather starkly with the black fabric. Sooooooo I think I am going to have to add a lining, which I will have to buy (so cant be included in the stash yardage).
Luckily I haven't sewn the elastic in yet....
I think with a thicker lace you wouldn't need to line the skirt- or if you don't mind showing a strip of your thighs :)














As you can see I like to use a lot of pins to make sure the lace and turned fabric really stays in place before zigzagging! I desperately need to get some more Japanese glass head pins from Wendy Gager's website (hopefully she sell's them online - I brought them instore before),as I am yet to find anyone who sells pins of the same quality up here. Currently I am resorting to using all my old pins at the moment to make up numbers and they are very blunt in comparison.




All pinned up and ready to go...err ...sew!

No comments: