Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wonky fabric -grrrrrrr!

I've been busy making up this Burda dress over the last few days. I like the simple style and knew that I had some suitable fabrics in my stash that I could use - making it eligible for the SPR Stash 2009 contest as well. Both fabrics are light cottons,in pretty much the same colour. The first has an embroidery anglaise pattern all over it :
The second fabric had simpler lines of flowers embroidered across it , except for the richly detailed hem , which was the whole reason I wanted to buy both fabrics in the first place.
I brought this fabric about 3 or 4 years ago from Homecraft Textile in Mirrabooka (western Australia), and all I can think is that I must have been pretty distracted- or a little green in the fabric buying department- as I never noticed that the pattern had been stitched on slightly off grain. You can see below how crooked it was at the selvages, the blue lines are the embroidery pattern, the yellow is the pricking line on the selvage and the black is the fabric edge. There is about 2 centimetres difference between one end and the other:

Luckily the actual pattern itself was still relatively even spaced so I cut my pattern pieces using that as a guide, and ignoring the selvage. I know it means that the dress will probably be a bit off grain, but to tell the truth I am not even sure if it will work or suit me, and the fabric was pretty cheap. I figure I haven't got much to lose! :)

No comments: