Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Patternmaker half-circle skirt progress

OK I know I have been sitting on this project for absolutely ages but the end is finally in sight!!
Today I added the button and buttonhole to the skirt waistband, not a big amount of sewing but more than I have been doing lately :P

This time around I actually ended up reading the section in my sewing machine manual about sewing buttons using the machine.
They suggest taping the button to the appropriate spot:
Before using the clear foot to stitch it on:
Makes sense really. Up until now I have just been using the shank without any foot on to hold and sew the button down, but having a foot on really does make it that much more stable. The only thing is that by using a foot you do have to tape it on, or the button just keeps wanting to slip right out!
Here's a test run for the buttonhole using my machine. As you can see the stitching is quite uneven on both sides and looks quite sloppy, very disappointing Janome!!!

I ended up using the buttonholing feature but restitched over it manually to strengthen and neaten the buttonhole, I think it looks much better now:

I think if I ever replace my very basic sewing machine I will definitely be looking for something that gives a much more professional buttonhole finish !

No comments: