Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Ok so it's not just me...

Have you read this post by Steph C of Cake Patterns, on her blog 3hourspast.com?
If not and you have more than a passing interest in sewing (maybe because RTW just doesn't seem to "work" for you) then I highly recommending stopping by to have a look. Steph looks at some of the "advice" commonly given which delegates people into various body "types" and how often, even though very well intentioned, it doesn't just work. 
I found that this post - and subject matter- reverberated quite strongly for me, and looking at the long list of comments it seems I'm not the only one!
After reading it my first thought was "Thank god I can sew (to some ability) so I'm not stuck with what RTW fashion offers us" and the second was "Hey its not my body that's stopping me from looking good in fashion, it's how industry designs the patterns for RTW items!" yay! 
OK now I did know that fashion industry sizing is mostly based on some very old, outdated and out-of-whack body measurements, but its always nice to have someone confirm that I'm not alone in my fashion frustration and maybe help me see it from another angle. 
Perspective is a wonderful thing ;)

Happy sewing!

Kate :)

3 comments:

Raych said...

I agree. I know with what camouflages my weak areas (long torso covering shirts with tight right under the bust area. And 3/4 sleeve no sleeveless or cap sleeves look good on me any more)
And. the fashion industry cranks out clothes to expose them, leaving me looking fatter and in-proportioned. Drives me batty!

Unknown said...

Time to confess! Have a stock of patterns for myself that I have only stared at longingly for months. Because I love them and didn't think I could wear them. I even have fabric!

That's it. Elizabeth's summer stuff can wait. I want a decent dress!

Kate S said...

@Raych I know what you mean - I feel like whatever try on is often too short. I'm thinking that they start with a size 6 or 8 then have some formula for drafting up to larger sizes, but it doesnt do it in a very flattering way! I tend to think that if you are a tiny size 8 or 10 you have much more choices with RTW fashion than those of us that fit into (or above) the "norm". I have found clothes shopping such a disheartening experience since having kids that I pretty much avoid it at all cost...
@Laura: Yay I hope you get to make yourself something to wear really soon! I find that when I am struggling to find time to sew I think "even ONE seam sewn, or one section pinned, or the next step of the pattern instructions read...it all adds up, do it regularly and eventually you will end up with a finished garment!" Little by little (when you have kids) and you WILL get it done! And like you say you DO have the patterns and fabric already (though I do too, I won't tell if you don't...;)