Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Blog name change, again...

If you have been following this blog for a while you would have noticed that it had a name change a few months ago (from Sewing For Sanity to Kate Sews) along with a fancy new domain name (www.katesews.com).
Well call it a girl's prerogative but I'm changing it back to Sewing For Sanity. A lot of the reasons why I changed it in the first place can be found in this post here, but one of the biggest reasons is that the domain name magically came up as being available to buy- after me thinking that it was just never gonna happen. Goes to show you what you get for making assumptions!
Anyway I hope you all stay with me and tolerate this latest foible- I swear  this is the last name change ever!
 And as far as I see it it's not technically a name change but reverting back to my original blogspot name, albeit now with snazzy domain .com ;)
 So thanks for sticking with me so far but I understand if I might lose a few people along the way of my blog naming/renaming journey.
As this blog really is just a "hobby"/creative outlet I don't think I've got much to lose (I'm writing for love of it) and I'm really glad to be back with a name that for me has a lot of personal history.

Happy sewing!

Kate x

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Yey for doing what makes you happy :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate. I think its a good idea to change it back to your original name and especially since the opportunity availed itself. :-).

Just curious: how do or how did you switch the name without losing your blog? Did your webhost do this? And last (dumb) question: sewing for sanity and katesews.com are domain names not blog names (ex: blogspot.com), correct?

I'm much like you: blogging is a hobby, but at the same time, if you happen upon a name that you like and has alot of meaning, you want to keep it and protect it. :-). Thanks for the updates. -JC

Kate S said...

Thanks Ellen and JC for the vote of confidence in the name change!
JC the domain name just sort of "overlays" the original blogspot name address, so I took the "katesews" one off my blogspot blog (there's an option under Setting -> Publishing where you can put a custom domain name in and have your blogspot redirected to you new domain name) and then put the "sewingforsanity" one in. You have to do stuff at the other end (for me that was Go Daddy who I brought the domain through) to make sure your domain "points" to your blogspot address so everything plays nicely and people see your new .com domain when they look at your blog. I had a lot of issues with getting all the CNAMES right in the DNS manager and after trying to follow two different sets of instructions I gave up and rang Go Daddy tech support and they fixed it for me from their need. Your blog should theoretically still remain if you revert back to your blogspot address after having a custom domain name. That said I am in no way an expert on these matters, most of what I do is through trial and error teamed with a lot of keyword searching on the web. I tried to redirect my katesews.com to my new domain and now that ends in a "404- address not found" error, so no doubt I will have to contact Go Daddyto get that fixed as well :(

Kate S said...

JC I hope this helps or makes sense at least! Sorry if its stuff you already know...