Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

Twenty something questions with......Alviana of Popolok Design


Proudly presenting the second interview in my series “Twenty something questions with...” :
 Alviana of Sewn by Alviana and Popolok Design. 

Alviana and her muse: daughter Bella


 If you have been following my blog for a while you would have recognised the name as I have tested not one – but three - pattern’s for Popolok Design in the past 4 months. Popolok Design is Alviana’s relatively new venture but her blog Sewn by Alviana has been around for quite a while, I first met Alviana on the sewing blogosphere in my pre-children days. Back then Alviana was a copious maker of garments and she has put that energy into now creating very unique designs for babies and children, releasing on average about 1 new pattern every 2.5 months. 
As well as designing patterns Alviana work’s full time and is mother to the adorable little Bella – what a woman!

Without further ado here are Alviana’s answers to the list of questions I sent her (thank’s for answering Alviana- you are one very busy lady!) :



Sewing For Sanity: Approximately how long have you been sewing for/ at what age did you learn to sew?
Alviana: I remember I started sewing my doll's clothes when I was about 10 years old. Then I made a few clothes during my teen years. Stopped for a while, when I was away from home studying. Then resumed back in 2007, the year I found out about sewing patterns. Then, I was unstoppable :) 


Sewing For Sanity: How did you learn to sew? (Are you self taught/learnt at school/learnt through private lessons/taught by a relative / a combination of these?)(If self taught what resources did you mostly use? Internet/books/instructional DVDs...?)
Alviana: I never take any formal classes. I believe everything I know now is self-taught. But I did learn a few sewing techniques from my other relatives. My mother did some sewing when I was young, but just simple projects like curtain, pillow case and some of our clothes. The Internet (blog tutorial/videos), sewing patterns and books are my main resources.


Sewing For Sanity:  What was the first machine that you sewed on? Was it yours or borrowed? If borrowed what was the first machine you owned?
Alviana: My mother's Singer sewing machine, I can't remember what model.


Sewing For Sanity: What machine(s) do you currently sew with?
Alviana: Singer Confidence 7465.


Sewing For Sanity: How often do you sew (daily/weekly/monthly etc)?
Alviana: Currently, I try to sew about 3 to 4 times a week. Which is about 10 minutes to 2 hours per one time. 


Sewing For Sanity: Do you have your own sewing room/studio?
Alviana: Yes, a temporary studio. This will be our daughter’s room in the future when she’s ready to have her own room. Meanwhile, we are still co-sleeping. And the room is still my sewing room. 



Sewing For Sanity: Is there anything (besides sewing machines and overlockers) that you use on a regular basis for sewing / blogging and could not live without?
Alviana: My fabric, sewing patterns & books are my precious collection.

 Sewing For Sanity: Sewing blogs and websites- are there any that you frequent regularly? Any that have helped you become a better sewer? 
Alviana: Sewing.patternreview.com has helped me a lot. I don’t have a specific blogs that I visit frequently. When I have time to surf for leisure, I just Google what I want and end up at any random blogs. 


Sewing For Sanity: Are you part of any sewing groups/networks?
Alviana: Sewing.patternreview.com but I am not as active as before since I haven’t made any clothing for me recently.
I have a Malaysian sewing buddies facebook group - we share everything about our latest projects. I do wish I join more network and groups, but hardly find the time to maintain my participation.  
Burda-style site seems like a great network I'd like to join.


Sewing For Sanity: How do you find combining sewing/blogging and family? How do you carve out time to write/create?
Alviana: Since having my child, I can only find time to sew late at night after she'd asleep. I usually write and blog from my office if I’m not busy, other than that is family time.  


Sewing For Sanity: Best sewing tip(s) you have picked up?
Alviana: Currently, the best tips I have is to baste the centre back seam first before stitching the centred zipper, then unpick the basting after. I really like this technique and I used to be really intimidated with zipper’s before. 

Sewing For Sanity: Craft/sewing books – any favourite titles you’d like to share?
Alviana: My favourite book among all I have: Bridal Gowns: How to Make the Wedding Dress of Your Dreams
 
Sewing For Sanity: Sewing patterns – any particular pattern house/magazine/website you prefer or tend to sew from more?

Alviana: I really do like the patterns from BurdaStyle magazine.

Sewing For Sanity: Favourite item/projects to sew? 
Alviana: Dresses, mine and for my girl
 
Sewing For Sanity: Favourite fabric/materials to sew with (if any)?
Alviana: Cotton is my favourite fabric to sew. But among all of fabrics in the world, I love satin the most.  

Sewing For Sanity: Most challenging thing you have ever sewn? 
Alviana: Our handmade baby carrier (SSC). Took me about 6 months to finish it.

Sewing For Sanity: What would you sew more of if you had the time?
Alviana: Wedding and formal dresses. I just love this kind of projects. 

Sewing For Sanity: Worst project ever (if you have one)?
Alviana: All of my UFOs.  


Sewing For Sanity: Do you have U.F.O’s (unfinished objects)?
Alviana: Oh God, yes. Countless objects. Mostly are my self-drafted clothing, home-deco projects, and refashion trials. There's a clump in the corner in my studio dedicated for them, which annoys me so much. 


Sewing For Sanity: Best time of day for you to sew?
Alviana: Late at night, when the baby’s asleep and house chores are done. 


Sewing For Sanity: Anything you would be keen to acquire sewing wise if you won lotto?
Alviana: I will invest and having my own sewing supplies shop with enormous stock of fabric and notions. I will also quit my job and dedicate my life for my family and sewing.  


Sewing For Sanity: Things you won’t sew?
Alviana: Clothing for other people which I don't have the heart or passion to do it. And there's so many people out there will ask you to sew this and that for them once they know you can sew.  


Sewing For Sanity: Sewing for others – yes/no? 
Alviana: Certain people, certain projects, certain times. Which is very few. 
 
Sewing For Sanity: Has sewing taken you anywhere unexpected (that you did not expect it to)?  
Alviana: Yes, before blogging I always kept my sewing hobby to myself because I used to feel making handmade clothing is embarrassing. But, after I found out about sewing patterns and blogs, I realized that it can actually be a cool hobby to have. I start blogging, and unexpectedly gaining many inspiring readers and friendly friends. And now having my own pattern line is one of my proudest life achievements which I never expect to have. 


Sewing For Sanity: Did you start sewing as a "hobby"/"recreational" pastime?  Do you still see it as being this way in your life? If not how do you see it now? 
Alviana: Like many other sewists, it was started as a hobby. And gradually making it as a part-time activity for our side income. I see it as my part time job right now and put a lot of my passion and love into it, until I didnt really care if I making any profit or not. 


Alviana is currently in the process of testing her latest pattern for Popolok Design, which will be available to buy in the near future.
All other Popolok Design Patterns (including the three I tested: The Lulu, The Cece and The Novo) are available for sale via electronic PDF download from: 
 
Popolok Design Etsy shop 

You Can Make This

Fairytale Frocks & Lollypops

Popolok Design's Facebook Store (for Malaysia)

 

2 comments:

Alviana said...

Hi Kate, I can't believe i haven't say any thanks to you for this. Thank you so much for featuring us. I really appreciated it. I will share the link in my blog soon. Thank you!

Kate S said...

No probs Alviana - I know how crazy busy you are! Plus I just do this for the joy of doing it, anything extra is a bonus :)