Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Undies bonanza

 So after my pluck-inducing ramble yesterday I thought I might show you the fruits of my undie sewing labours:
Sorry not a great pic but you get the idea. Actually I made three pairs of black undies, which takes the total made up to seven- one for each day of the week yay! 
By far my favourite pair from the lot are the rose printed. The fabric was out of a $5 remnant/scrap bag from Potters Fabrics (currently closed for trading but fingers crossed they reopen in some form). All fabric from Potters was of highest quality and this knit is no exception:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg0jWzeeUkmF99q7SlKYNdhjzBdlyAW-dowGlhLUXEogRuLIn3HIkRK8GavSr8oBM1BVnqIkmiHr8wvCwl8tKt3Y350yW-KQhEeLnaiMl3U3_oKOKrGA7ntGlAlpEossLEVSTYOSVV49vA/s1600/photo-772650.JPG

 Plus who can resist the chance to wear mega rose blooms on their butt? 

The turquoise, lime green + black animal print/floral knit also comes from Potters. Yes it does look like bather material (as pointed out when I was pinning them up at a recent BSCP MeetUp) but the fabric is much thinner, more thin top weight, and it tied in nicely with some pale blue lace I had kicking around:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj43ZYw6jT4uPlOi0ot3ILRR8qIP_56NHnD_3GdbLABeISYSYDftUKqEyqPWygHTS8HM4zwBOpgJ5cwXTurGC4NrHxDrr5eFrhSccW9IL5vCX9mVHW7U5YILxLX3njfcghSX6YHhIvT8UQ/s1600/photo-712645.JPG
Lingerie elastic stash- unfortunately not enough of the deep pink for a full pair :(
 The pale pink undies were remade from a t-shirt that got ripped shortly after buying. I was just able to squeeze one complete pair, plus several crotch linings, out of the top. 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgLiykiUDMQycvTedtBW5wlKpe7B0qAgryV2YA0TW2ZNgk7XZguQZD_qrRUfBchZeuNUuKfGaMkFolVEkr5Fb2tWU5pb4uUwLoLEAU-byqYS4wUXOb8bvCOJuV5bUQjQc-RrTbrmpDybbk/s1600/photo-738937.JPG

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhquYU4uujJIN2KUZ0y8AgpTSqQ9hg78Hh3Zn6jcGvBwaVmZ7s5GYTT1vepRiB-5SbyJDiajZ3Lnyu-qIMf1vQcZEGSGdiqFh6aYVGwoKB-R5-qW8DtAt_SAsDP2aGu37sUdiUiqTjWf1g/s1600/photo-743963.JPG
 The label of the brand was screen printed to the inside back of the t-shirt and I ended up with some of the printing on one of the pieces I cut out. I shows through a little on the resulting pair of undies, but as I figure it's only going to be me seeing them who cares? (Oh yeah and you the reader, but if you've read this far then obviously pics of my underwear doesn't shock you ;)
Below is a pair of the black elastic pinned up and ready to sew.


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiMyQUA5fIEMPH1V2qdBrTGxURxbDmbNdsvC369Whl3x7b77NNz_dJxUY5Su7IdZIxpPvy9Mlzvb2crEDV_DoWFx0TCO7FzlUHJ0DcLMx9P_RiYQ5htXH8XLx7I8z5LKQ5yiWR30APKvyQ/s1600/photo-706847.JPG
Played with the contrast on this pic so you could see the details. Photographing black on black is the PITS!

The black fabric was recycled from a tunic style wrap that I found at an op-shop. The triangular style of the original garment did nothing for me but the fabric was made in Italy and lovely to touch, a great quality knit.
 Since starting underwear making I'm always going through my clothes and wondering what would be better as underwear :)
Technically I think I've pretty much got the stretch-and-sew movement of knicker sewing (required to match the elastic up evenly to the fabric) down pretty much pat ;) In fact this time round I almost enjoyed it by the 7th pair, as I could do it while half watching Mad Men on TV! 
Something to be said for repetition.
The pattern I used for these knickers was Kwik Sews 2100. I think (looking at the cut and style) this is a fairly old pattern. The sizing and style labelling is a bit odd (hipster cut is described as bikini and vice versa) and the crotch section rather wide, but still it was a good first pattern to cut my underwear making teeth on. Now that I know what the issues are I'm sure I can tweak it to get -more or less- a even better fit.
I've made underwear up from this pattern before, you can check it out on this post here.

Also you can read my pattern review on sewing.patternreview.com here.

Happy Sewing!

Kate x


4 comments:

Sue said...

I think sewing undies is addictive. I love it too. You have found some pretty laces!

Kate S said...

Yep nothing like comfy undies! The laces were some sell out stock from a store closing down in Darwin, as always wish I brought more...

Anonymous said...

oh these are soo cute! I tried sewing undies in silk a few years ago. non stretch. really like the ones with roses and the ones from an old t-shirt!

Kate S said...

Thanks sewinggoddess - I'm pretty happy with the end result, especially now they are my "staple" undies lol. Don't know how I would go with non stretch undies, think my hips and bum need all the fabric elasticity they can get!