Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Topstitching

My first attempt at topstitching jeans pockets - as you can see I am rather crap at it:

 
Why oh why did I attempt to do the design that Burda WOF suggested? Why couldn't I just do a straight line or something? And why did I think acid yellow would be a fab choice for topstitching thread (I doesn't look that bright in the picture but thats just my "photography skills" and bad lighting). Topstitching in contrasting colour makes it bleeding obvious when you sew a wonky line.
The fabric I chose is a stretch denim, so to make matters worse the pockets have "grown" slightly after stitching- grrrr.
Right now I can't be bothered redoing them but I imagine they will annoy me no end if I use them. Luckily I am right at the beginning of the jeans construction so I think I'll see how the actual fit shapes up before deciding to use them or not. If the garment looks like its going to be hideous "gardening/housecleaning only" clothes- or even worse a wadder- then there's no point in redoing the pockets.
On the suggestion of Sandra from my Burdastyle sewing group I use upholstery thread instead of topstitching thread- much cheaper and I think -ability to sew straight aside- it works. I just used regular Guterman thread in the bobbin, the same colour as the main fabric.

Here's to the learning curve! ;P

Kate x

No comments: