Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Floral Kwik Sew top goes out

So finally got a snap of my floral Kwik Sew 2643 being worn. We were on our way to the public library and I asked hubby to grab a quick shot before we left, not super "styled" but an acurate reflection of my day to day wardrobe :)
 This version was actually the first top I made from this pattern- you can see my original post here. Fabric is from Spotlight- $7 (or thereabouts) a metre on special. A bit thin for my preference as a single layer but I fell in love with the big fluro-bright flowers on the tan background. Plus having a $10 voucher that was due to expire helped cinched the deal (birthday voucher that is- thankyou Spottie!)
Now I'm not so sure what I was thinking picking a fluro/beige colour combination, I think I may have been swayed by all the pinterest boards I've been browsing lately. At least -if nothing else- it's a bit "unusual" ;) And luckily enough it worked out well for my first shot at this pattern.
Originally I made this this up with full length and full width sleeves. What you see now is the hacked and trimmed back version. I serged a fair bit off the width of the sleeves, chopped the length to near elbow and took it in a little more on main body seams as well. The neckline is the original neckline, I thought it was a bit too high on first wear but now I thinks it's OK. In fact -on reflection- it probably the ideal neckline for a work top (or for any other situation where accidental cleavage flashing is a no-no).
I've played around a fair bit with this pattern now and think I should probably put it away and try something new...
However with summer around the bend I find myself wondering what the short sleeve option looks like made up...and how hard it would be to alter it into something more "wardrobe friendly" if I don't like the original design.

Lots to consider ;)

Happy Sewing!

Kate :) 

No comments: