Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Who likes short shorts? Not me!

The end result of my sewing weekend away - stretch denim "shorts":


These end at the knee and are a hacked off version of Burda 7863. I actually (first time ever) made a muslin for these from a firm woven so was pretty eager to see how they turned out in a stretch fabric.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZf4TbtsfiSe6_jyRAOEyDerEC_49n-hNSLU-qE1u6PdkEFwqdbnS5E5njhRyrO190EmXlQZjzK3SZx7BzLg7AzZyqwnEFqQ-Vggcyxkukoft-IKMcKXaUZNNWvb9VvLmwiMMPYxFm6nc/s1600/photo-740755.JPG
Mostly I think they turned out good. There are a few small things I would change -I took a bit too much off the waistband when making the centre back alteration and the leg hems flare out slightly ( top stitching on stretch fabric without a stabiliser)- but surprisingly these are rather comfy to wear even with these issues.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjsaeVd0499EhMcZLZJ7egZS8DaLVZD6R6qY0NXElyaRNE0hqDhpGsLMIhLsMIn2P2WeWKPIVrOluco1bOob5gjO0vC2vCz0kRKjPJmZ3N3wml1teWCAF0G1uALoATatT9pX08-tGrCxuU/s1600/photo-762123.JPG
Please note: I normally don't show midriff, I'm waaay past being able to do that- it's just so you can see the waistband!
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjiR_R2g5uxcX6VLBCYsaWMEA5SGCtIwIGO8_7-qd_75JeAhNAbRET8vDGv0Bh1KQRV9PQ-ME21MAO57R9dG7cIo_17nrruGbVXLCrdsRpAq4X_gvX2JMKLps1FJEmGeNzjNU8mQA6PQtg/s1600/photo-762298.JPG
How my tops normally sit!
 Oh and I forgot to prewash my fabric- NOT recommended! Not only did I run the risk of some crazy shrinkage happening (it didn't luckily), but the dye came off the fabric onto my hands while sewing! 
I'm planning to make up another pair of these before summer is over - maybe with a cuff? Hopefully I'll have that centre back seam alteration nutted out by then!

Happy Sewing!

Kate x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look great! Definitely worth the fussing about with a muslin, and all that topstitching.

Kate S said...

Thanks Elle! I ALWAYS wonder what the heck I've signed up for once I've committed to topstitching but in hindsight I do think it's one of those things that "makes' the garment. I've got some lovely (by Spottie standards) grey denim that I hope to make into full length jeans before winter. I'm thinking a bit more subtle with the topstitching this time (maybe beacause if it blends in it will hide any mistakes *cough cough* ;)
:D