Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Simplicity 4076 top

I have been laid up recovering from minor surgery so here's a top I finished a few weeks ago :

Simplicity 4076 view D with view B sleeve option
My wardrobe has a lack of comfy-yet-not-mumsy/daggy casual tops and this pattern appears to have ticked all the right boxes. The fabric is a synthetic stretch (jersey?) from Janome in Balcatta. They have a large clearance area at the back and I know that anything I buy from there will be good quality as it is ex Knitwit stock. I loved the abstract print and brought it with view D in mind. The sleeves are from view B.


View B sleeves- accidently lettuce leaf finished but it turn out OK I think.

When I make this again I will probably look at scooping out the side seams at the bust area or doing a proper FBA to accommodate "the girls", as the fabric strains across the bust and loses the gathering detail once I put it on. 

Gathering detail
Lack of gathering detail- gathers now turned into wrinkles pointing to boobs eek!
I would do a FBA rather than go up a size as I am happy with the fit through the shoulders and waist. 

I had a fair idea my bust might distort the pattern but was too impatient to get something made up! Live and learn...next time I will make adjustments to the pattern first to rectify the problem.
Otherwise I am pretty happy with this top and have worn it quite a few times in casual outfits, once I fix the bust I can see it becoming a wardrobe staple for me.

2 comments:

Texas SewingGirl said...

Hi, I was looking at reviews at PR and notice your review because we have a similar shape. Your top is very cute. I have made this particular pattern many, many times in different types of stretch fabric. I am always pleased with the results. I don't do the gathers around the neck of any top for the same exact reason you stated. I use FOE (foldover elastic) instead of a neck binding. It works just as well. I also added 6 inches to the length since I have such a long torso and like to cover up my problem area (sorry, don't know what that is in cm) June

Kate S said...

Thanks June for the kind comment on my top. Am thinking I might try grading up a size as since I've been "properly" measured thats where I'm at (for some reason picked the smaller size range on this one). I hope to come back to this pattern one day, perfect it for me and make up many more, however new projects just keep happening ;)
One day hopefully!!!