Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

More stocking making pics

Just in case you were actually waiting to see if I did post up any more pics of the stocking saga here they are ...

As mentioned before I made a design error and this it:
 
 The cuff, which was 4 separate pieces, would have been much better if I had made it from 2 bigger pieces with only one side seam.

As it was where those 4 seams joined up at the main point was pretty tight on for space once you turned it out, leaving quite a noticeable lump. 
This is after trimming inside corners and pressing (a wooden clapper would have come in handy here):
 And in case it wasn't obvious :
 Once that had been dealt with it was just a matter of pinning it the hanging loop (ric rac )...
...and making sure I pinned the cuff on the right way so that it faced the right way once turned right side out...

Pinned up and ready to sew with the very un-glam calico lining on show:

 The seam where the cuff joined the stocking would be hidden once everything was turned right side out and the cuff folded over, so I just zig zagged it after a final trim. If it was something I was going to sell or use more than once a year I would probably neaten it with some co-ordinating binding.

And there you go, stockings sewn:






Happy sewing :)

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I doubt your family noticed!

My christmas pin up fabric just arrived today (all the way from America) and I'm thinking an angled cuff would look great, so I may steal- referenced, of course :D

Kate S said...

Feel free to use it - a friend helped me decide on that style as I did have something more complicated planned (a zig zaggy cuff and a scalloped one) but realistically was running out of time! Would love to see yours when finished :)