Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

White Seafarer tops for summer (Part 1)

The weather is finally starting to warm up (only last week we had the wood fire going) and with 40 degree summer heat looming around the corner I've started thinking of suitable clothing. 
My plan this year is to make a few quick to sew/easy to wear items from pattern's I've already tried before, then if time permits I'll move onto something new...
This week I managed to make two tops from Sew Much Ado's Seafarer top pattern (which I tested here last June). 
I've said it before -I LOVE this pattern- it sews up super quick (2 pieces only if you choose) and is a great casual all rounder piece to wear, figure flattering and easy to throw on with jeans or a skirt. IMHO you can't go wrong.

That is unless - like me- you mistake super fine ribbing for cotton Lycra, then hold on for the ride (and keep the unpicker handy)!

The fabric for this top below IS super fine cotton ribbing: 

 
Superfine ribbing is GREAT for cuffs, necklines and fold over waistbands, it stretches and curves beautifully. 
It's also an absolute *biatch* to sew without an overlocker. Seams stretch and wave like crazy- even when using the stretch stitch option (lightning stitch) on the sewing machine. 

Originally I planned to just make this using the basic front/back 2 piece basic pattern. After ripping out the sleeve ends twice due to waviness (I used a triple zig zag stitch in conjunction with"Steam-a-seam lite" tape) I decided that the only way to stop them looking like wings was to overlock armbands on as a sleeve finish. I then overlocked  bands to the neckline and bottom hem as well, in an effort to try and salvage the top. 
Even using an overlocker the seams still wanted to stretch so I changed the differential feed setting from 1 to 2.2, after consulting the user manual. 

Due to the fabric thickness this top feels more like a sweatshirt than a t-shirt (my daughter said "mummy jumper **?" when she saw it) and it looks quite "made by nanna circa 1980's". NOT that there's anything wrong with that- it's just not the look for me (when I was five years old maybe...)
 Safe to say it has now been put in the house/lounge/PJ wear drawer, I feel like a marshmallow in it so it wont be leaving the house!

How did I manage to make such a fabric blunder? Largely trying to choose and  buy fabric in a hurry- combining fabric shopping with family outings has never really turned out well in my experience.

Also -up until now- I had never had anything to do with this type of fabric. It wasn't until I was sewing it, trying to work out why it stretched like crazy, did I happen to pull it the right way and see that it was in fact ribbing! 

Bit of a light bulb moment there ;)

Guess that explains why it seemed to be a fabric narrower than usual in width (I ended up having to put a centre seam in the back fabric piece). 

Anyway I think I've waffled on enough for one post so I'll leave the top that actually DID work out until next time!

Until then ...


Happy (hopefully trouble-free) sewing!

Kate :) 

P.S in case you are wondering where you can get this type of ribbing from- I brought this fabric from Janome Balcatta.


** We tend to call sweaters/pullovers "jumpers" here but I know "jumpers" refer to a different type of garment elsewhere in the world.


No comments: